As the new June 1 hurricane season approaches, Plaquemines Parish government has announced that the FEMA-funded wreckage removal plan from Hurricane Isaac is coming to an end. Plaquemines people have until May 27, to place all Isaac debris by the side of the roads for pickup.
The parish government emphasizes that debris placed on rights of way by construction companies will not be picked up as the companies are dependable for their own debris removal. On Oct. 29, FEMA announced that it would offer Plaquemines with about $29 million for debris removal.
The parish received an extra grant of nearly $19 million to repay the parish for private property debris removal. Under FEMA’s Public Assistance grant program, FEMA provides the state with 75 percent of suitable costs, as the parish must cover the remaining 25 percent.
A huge ice wave has ploughed through lakeside cottages in Canada and the United States. The ice tsunami was up to 3m elevated and had some residents fleeing for their lives. The ice wave came on shore like a slow-motion, cold tsunami.
At first it tinkered its way across front lawns, prior to it shunted towards homes and cottages on a Canadian lakefront.
At Ochre Beach at Canada’s Lake Dauphin, a wall of ice damaged its way through a dozen summer cottages. The ice has come on these goods historically over the years but never this close, says Dennis Stykalo, whose holiday home was destroyed.
Residents are left to clean up the icy mess as diggers burrow through the spring thaw, trying to prepare for the fishing season in the summer.
Hurricane sandy, the deadliest hurricane to hit the northeastern U.S. in 40 years and the second-costliest in the nation’s history. The storm is heading north after extensive damage in the Caribbean. According to the National Hurricane Center report, the storm’s effects reached far and wide.
A chilly storm is chugging across the country from the west and frigid air is streaming south from Canada. Forecasters supposed that they could meet around New Jersey or New York on Tuesday morning, creating a meteorological mess.
Heavy rain would cause flooding along the coastline and inland. Strong winds are expected to down trees and power lines. Emergency management officials are advising inhabitants to be prepared. Effects will depends on the track of the storm and forecasters say there’s still quite a bit of uncertainty about where Sandy will go.
A one-meter-high wave tsunami has hit Japan’s northeast coast region, the country’s meteorological agency surveys. The wave was recorded in Ishinomaki, a city in Miyagi region that was badly hit by the tsunami of March 2011, which killed thousands and thousands peoples.
A magnitude-7.3 earthquake strike north-eastern Japan previous on Friday and the meteorological group had issued a tsunami warning for coastal areas. No damage or injuries were instantly reported from the 5:18 pm (1918 AEDT) huge quake, which was centered off the prefecture at a depth of 10 kilometers. The region was struck on March 11, 2011, by a magnitude-9 quake, which caused main damage and set off a tsunami that overcome coastal communities.